Friday, May 14, 2010

wednesday may 12







Show us your Portland!!
day one: Donilee.

On Wednesday Robin and I met Donilee for breakfast at a place called the tea zone. We had a really lovely breakfast. Robin and Donilee both got scones. Scone "so good they must have been made by angels" so says Robin. And i ate some crumpets. Turns out I love crumpets, I thought they would be like English muffins, but i was happy to discover they are more like pancakes (a personal breakfast favorite) Also since we were at the tea zone i forwent my daily coffee and drank a tea suggested by Donilee. The tea came with a little timer to ensure it wasn't over steeped and it was really good, almost good enough for me to briefly think about quiting coffee.

Our breakfast conversation was wonderful Donilee is a really great person, vibrant and exciting, Robin and I both agree we want her to be our new best friend. She offered to actually tour us to her favorite places to go in Portland. It turned out she was taking us on her regular first or second date route. we went to Ace Hotel. This hotel is at the edge of the pearl district. Its pretty hip. the bathroom wall paper is actually old player piano paper and the lobby has an old time photo booth (that takes credit cards) we took some pictures, which was great squeezing three of us into the booth. and the upstairs art of the lobby has a great old apothecary with ace hotel note pads and pencils for writing your secrets in and leaving in the drawers. I left a message to my former self.

Next we went to Powell Books, North Americas largest book store (maybe) it's massive and amazing, i could have stayed there all day. But we had to move on to an amazing vintage shop called Avalon and met the owner (whose name I cant remember but he was a really cool guy) The shop had old Victorian spats, I wanted to own them but figured my ankles would be too large to fit them. From Avalon we went to Voodoo Donuts. This place smelled amazing. As we all know I don't eat the white sugars so I just got to watch Robin and Donilee eat amazing looking donuts. They have a bacon and maple flavored donut. I bet it's amazing. Apparently there is an ordained employee or owner at Voodoo Donuts who will marry you on the spot. I proposed to Robin, but we didn't follow through. There is a picture of me proposing to Robin, I will post that soon.

Next we checked out the Oyster bar, one of the oldest restaurants in Portland and finally we made our way to a block of food carts to get lunch (pulled pork! and veggi burgers...) and part ways with Donilee. She was an amazing host and we are both so excited that we met her! new best friend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment